Monday, September 2, 2013

Weather, You Like it or Not

It's unofficially known as the "End of Summer," Labor Day is upon us and I can't believe how quickly this Summer has flown by. Our first Winter in Pittsburgh lasted for what seemed like an eternity. I've spent these Summer months trying to defrost and enjoy the warmth of the sunshine that my Southern California roots so highly need to survive. <That's not an exaggeration either. Although, since becoming a Navy wife (in 2007) and moving away from home, I've never craved Southern California sunshine and beaches more than now.

What's slightly more disappointing to me is all the RAIN we had this Summer! Sure, someone who's lived in Seattle for 5 years may be used to a little rain, but a light drizzle doesn't compare to the downpours and street flooding we've dealt with this year. Our first Summer in Pittsburgh wasn't nearly as wet and wild. 

When the sun did come out, with probably a high of 87 for the warmest temp of the year, we spent our days outdoors. While native Pittsburghers complained of the warm temperatures, I couldn't help but enjoy the Summer I knew would'nt last, even if we did have to deal with humidity. I knew the rest of our family was suffering in the Southern California desert with average temperatures above 110°!  

Rain or shine, we did manage to have some enjoyment this Summer. A list of some of our favorites can be found here. It's a bit of a bittersweet feeling for me with the return to school and the end to swimming pools. I have always looked forward to the Fall, with all the spicy warm smells, boots and sweaters, and of course the highly anticipated FOOTBALL season... and YES we are Steelers fans! But knowing that another Winter is shorty behind, I'm not as ready to jump for joy at the end of Summer. 

As I look out my window it's yet again raining, which explains our lack of plans for Labor Day weekend. Despite some of the unfortunate weather, we still have another Summer of memories in the bank that we will enjoy forever. Part of what I've learned through moving is no one place is like the other, nor is one place technically better, each place has something to offer and should be enjoyed for what it is. As a military family, we have always enjoyed the adventure and taken in each opportunity to get out and "explore." So, even though I vent about my frustrations of unfortunate weather, we always find a way to enjoy the day through the inevitable. Because the rain doesn't last and neither do the days... whether we like it or not. 



No comments:

Post a Comment