Thursday, September 5, 2013

Library Days!

I have recently designated Thurdays as library day in our house. I decided to focus on reading a little more with Aiden more than anything else to begin the new school year. I do believe a passion for books is the gateway to many great opportunities. I did have a library card while living in Seattle, Aiden and I frequented the library often during that time. After living in Pittsburgh for a year, we finally got around to getting a new card just last week.

Aiden has always loved going to the bookstore and getting new books. Somewhat surprisingly, his current favorites are non-fiction books about animals, the human body, and outer space. Since he is working on his reading, I thought it would be useful for him to search for some of his own and practice with a variety without buying a new book every week (even though I do have a minor book shopping obsession). I picked him up from school today and as he excitedly began to tell me about his 3rd day of school, we headed to the Monroeville Public Library to search for story books. We read everyday from his collection of books at home, but bringing home some a little more unfamiliar may spark some new interest. And frankly, I'm quite impressed with how well he's been doing sounding out words. Proud mommy moment number 15,003:)

As we walk in, I hand him his library card from my purse and right away I could see how big and proud he felt about the whole process, getting to do things himself like "big kids" do. He scanned the shelves and eventually bee-lined to a table of Super Hero books displayed in the back. He picked up a Batman book and asked me to read it. I approvingly began to read, pointing at certain words that he read as well. 


When we finished the book, we made our way to the other shelves and continued our search. We left the library that day with a moderately sized stack:
     • Jackie's Bat
     • Ook the Book
     • Imagine You're a Knight
     • Gregory, the Terrible Eater
     • Tiny Goes to the Library
     • Unicorns Don't Give Sleigh Rides
     


A couple books for family and bedtime reading, and a couple more "easy readers" for him to practice with. We even picked up one of my childhood favorites from the Bailey School Kids series. :)
 
 
                                
 
He wasn't quite ready to leave when we did, but he managed to narrow it down and made his way out as a happy camper. He even used the self-checkout scanner all on his own and happily filled up his book bag. On the car ride home, he grabbed "Ook the Book" from his bag and began to sound out the words and read. 
 
                                
 
 
 
Do you make regular library trips with your kids? What are some of your favorite Children's books? I'd love to hear your feedback!


1 comment:

  1. Kellen has recently shown an interest in books and Talon has always loved them. We have also designated Thursday for our library trips. Shortly after I drop Talon off at school in the mornings, Kellen and I head to the library for story time and then in the afternoons once Talon gets out of school...we make another trip back.

    There is a library in Penn Hills that is supposed to be a decent one and then I regret never going to but the one off of Forbes looks really nice and I've heard they have a ton of Children activities.

    That's awesome Aiden is doing so well with learning to read. Talon is sounding words out but we still have a little way to go.

    ReplyDelete